Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Pumpkin pop chop and school update


Hi, ok..my new name for Luke. Pumpkin Pop Chop. (I know? don't ask..I honestly could not tell you) note: The glitter graphic above will make sense. It's giving you a glimpse of our school decisions that need to be made. This is me above! LOL


Ok....much anticipated SCHOOL UPDATE ON LUKE:

I'll try to make this brief. Longstory short: Luke turns 3 in November. ECI (early childhood intervention) releases all their kiddo's at 3 years of age to the Public school system. Crazy early!

Luke is eligible for the special needs program at the age of 3 in the public school right down the street. I've met with the coordinator and 'transitioner' lady named Karen 3x now. She's been so sweet and so very patient with me in allowing me a lot of time to 'think, fill out the chaotic paperwork, testing, etc'.

Logistics:

  • We have this huge evaluation meeting in October where about 15 people from the school staff will be present. PT, ST, OT, Nurse, School administrators, Motor lab teachers, etc. They will evaluate Luke in person and watch him play. I'm hearing this takes 1-2 hours? Wowsie. After each and every person watches him and tests him with games, toys and interactive play...then they write an assessment up for Luke THAT DAY. (literally)
  • At this point, we meet with the advocate lady KAREN and we create a customized special school plan for Luke.

Did you read that?! A CUSTOMIZED SPECIAL SCHOOL PLAN FOR LUKE! WOWSIE! I'm so excited.

She has said many times that this school district that we are in is like "FAMILY" and they take care of their kids. I'm so excited and so grateful we live in the sticks. She confirmed this as well because apparently a larger school district has limitations. I feel bad now for complaining so much about where I live. :) (it's far from city life..IMO)

Ok, so. The rundown. Pumpkin Pop will have 2 options after the evaluation. It's totally up to us on what we want to do as parents.

1) We can opt for HOMEBOUND schooling the 1st year to eliminate Luke getting sick. (a huge concern for us). This would entail a lady coming out to the house 4 hours a week to teach Luke one on one.

OR

2) We can opt for 3 hours a day (3x per week) at school in a classroom setting. The school is right down the street and yes...MY NURSE WILL ACCOMPANY HIM at all times. (I'll drive them and pick them up) I'm seriously not a bus person yet. I need to have some control over my baby. I'm already freaked! :)

What are we going to do?!

DH= Wants homebound.

BW= (BW..stands for bitchy wife) LOL. = Wants both!

I'm honestly nervous about school but my gut instinct is that Luke will grow leaps and bounds in a school setting. I'm wanting to take the risk. I'm nervous...but I feel it's best for him.

Decision: Not made yet. We'll get back to you.

In the meantime..that's the skinny. sorry to rush this blog..but I'm so dang busy bloggies.

I hope to slow down so very soon!

Love you bunches. Pray for our discernment and wisdom as parents. I want so much what's best for LUKE. Not us. A tuffy decision.

Big hugs,

A

No comments: